Most Active Stories
- What Kentucky Teachers Think Of Their Schools, Education Department Releases Survey Results
- MSU's Presidential Search Committee Plans to Use National Search Firm
- MSU Board of Regents Approves Dr. Tim Miller as Interim President
- Kentucky to Raise Gas Tax in July
- Survey Finds McConnell Leading Over Democratic Challengers
Mon October 15, 2012
Cates Landing Port to Open in 2013
Northwestern Tennessee's long-planned Cates Landing Mississippi river port is set to open in early spring. Tri-County Port Authority Chair Jimmy Williamson says final site work at the Lake County port begins in November after storm debris from 2011 flooding is cleared from the river. Williamson says the port will bring heavy use from the commercial barge industry to northwest Tennessee.
Williamson says it should also increase economic development in the region. State and regional agencies have put $50 million into the port and surrounding infrastructure since the project began in 1999.