Most Active Stories
- MSU's Dunn Selected to be Youngstown State's Next President
- MSU Board of Regents Vote Again Against New Contract for Dunn
- Boating Accident on Kentucky Lake Kills Fisherman
- KY College Planning Conference For Minorities Set
- MSU Board of Regents Meeting; Possible Revote on Dunn's Contract & Closed Session Planned
Wed December 19, 2012
Columbia Theatre Restoration Progresses
The heads of two of the Paducah groups working together to restore and reopen the downtown Columbia Theatre as a multipurpose facility updated Mayor Bill Paxton and city commissioners last night on their progress. The Paducah Renaissance Alliance and Maiden Alley Cinema have combined efforts to revitalize the historic building. PRA Executive Director Lisa Thompson says they hope to turn it into a space for local events such as performances, music, dance recitals, film showings and more.
“How great would it be, when the library does lectures and things like that, you know, if they needed a bigger auditorium, to have it in the Columbia—to use it as a space for communities," she says. "We want it to be a facility for all of us.”
Thompson says the City is working to restore the marquee lighting and the front entrance, while a nonprofit called the Columbia Club is also fundraising for other renovation projects. Thompson says she hopes the facility will open in four years.