Most Active Stories
- Poll Shows Major Support for Medical Marijuana in Kentucky
- Department of Education Says Midnight Meetings for Dropout Grants Unnecessary
- Recurring Trials for an Iranian Family – A Microcosm of the Persecution of the Baha’is in Iran
- Murray Woman Shares Story of Ongoing Persecution of Baha'is in Iran
- USEC Operations at PGPD Won't Continue
Thu January 3, 2013
Heath High Shooter Loses Appeal of Guilty Plea
Heath High School shooter Michael Carneal has lost his bid to withdraw a guilty plea after an appeals court ruled he should have sought a new trial sooner. The U.S. 6th Circuit Court of Appeals in Cincinnati ruled today that Carneal was declared competent as early as 2004 and could have challenged the plea then.
In 1997 Carneal killed three of his classmates and wounded five others at a prayer meeting outside the Paducah school. Carneal is serving a life sentence and is eligible for parole in 2023.