Most Active Stories
- Poll Shows Major Support for Medical Marijuana in Kentucky
- Recurring Trials for an Iranian Family – A Microcosm of the Persecution of the Baha’is in Iran
- TVA Eyes Closing Power Units at Shawnee Fossil Plant, Other Coal Facilities
- Boating Accident on Kentucky Lake Kills Fisherman
- IL State Workers Worried Over Pension Debate
Thu January 31, 2013
ILL Falling Into Pension Crises
Illinois Democratic House Speaker Michael Madigan says public employee unions have offered no cooperation on fixing the pension crisis.
The speaker released a sharp response yesterday (Wednesday) to a group of labor unions that want a February 11th summit on solutions to the $96 billion dollar pension problem. Madigan dismissed labor leader Michael Carrigan's claim last week that legislative solutions have failed because union concerns haven't been considered. Madigan pointed to at least eight high-level meetings with union representatives in the last year alone. The coalition says its proposal provides enough money and is fair.