Most Active Stories
- MSU's Dunn Selected to be Youngstown State's Next President
- MSU Board of Regents Vote Again Against New Contract for Dunn
- Boating Accident on Kentucky Lake Kills Fisherman
- KY College Planning Conference For Minorities Set
- MSU Board of Regents Meeting; Possible Revote on Dunn's Contract & Closed Session Planned
Tue January 29, 2013
Ill Senate President Ready to Address Pensions
Illinois Senate President John Cullerton says he wants to push forward with a pension overhaul as quickly as possible.
The Democrat is stressing the need for addressing Illinois' worst-in-the-nation pension problem, which he says drains the state budget. Cullerton introduced Senate Bill 1 after lawmakers were sworn in this month. It combines a Senate-approved measure along with another that failed to get a House roll-call. He says he's working to get support. As the Illinois State Senate gets set to reconvene next week, Cullerton says Standard & Poor's recent credit rating downgrade should motivate lawmakers to act.