Most Active Stories
- Poll Shows Major Support for Medical Marijuana in Kentucky
- Boating Accident on Kentucky Lake Kills Fisherman
- MSU's Dunn Selected to be Youngstown State's Next President
- Recurring Trials for an Iranian Family – A Microcosm of the Persecution of the Baha’is in Iran
- TVA Eyes Closing Power Units at Shawnee Fossil Plant, Other Coal Facilities
Mon February 4, 2013
McConnell On 2014 Campaign: 'We're Ready'
Republican US Senator Mitch McConnell has opened his Louisville campaign office early because he says democrats have made defeating him a priority next year. The Kentucky lawmaker is seeking a sixth term in 2014 and says his race will be the only one of any national significance.
The Senate Minority Leader says protestors already show up at his Jefferson county home and at events where he is scheduled to speak. McConnell told supporters gathered at his office this weekend that opponents are also working in other ways to defeat him.
“Stories about the democrats trying to fund various groups to try to get me a primary. Look, I welcome these guys. They want to fight. We’re ready,” he said.
McConnell’s campaign warchest currently sits at more than $7-million. Daviess County Democrat, Ed Marksberry, is the only person to officially file to run against McConnell but many “high profile” democrats haven’t ruled out a run.