Most Active Stories
- Poll Shows Major Support for Medical Marijuana in Kentucky
- Boating Accident on Kentucky Lake Kills Fisherman
- MSU's Dunn Selected to be Youngstown State's Next President
- Recurring Trials for an Iranian Family – A Microcosm of the Persecution of the Baha’is in Iran
- TVA Eyes Closing Power Units at Shawnee Fossil Plant, Other Coal Facilities
Mon July 16, 2012
McConnell Raises Another Million Dollars for Re-Election
Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell has banked another million dollars for his re-election campaign. That gives Kentucky’s senior senator more than $6 million dollars for an election still more than two years away.
The early start in fundraising sends a not-so-subtle signal to would-be Democratic challengers that McConnell is bent on winning a sixth term. Democrats are certain to target McConnell in 2014, just as they did in 2008 when he won re-election to a fifth term and gained the distinction of being the Commonwealth’s longest-serving senator. He spent some $20 million on the last election and won by six percentage points.