A mold outbreak in Murray State University’s Biology Building is leading to a three week remediation that will bite into the beginning of the fall semester. Some faculty, staff, and students may have to temporarily relocate while areas are being cleaned.
Dean of the Jesse D. Jones College of Science, Engineering and Technology Steve Cobb said faculty and staff began to notice patches of mold about two weeks ago and continued finding more. Specialists tested the building and discovered mold spores in the air.
Cobb said the university has contracted Industrial Maintenance and Construction to remediate the issue. So far, around nine labs and offices have been affected. Testing is ongoing to determine if any other spaces have mold present.
Affected rooms are off limits but the building remains open. Cobb said there should be little impact to students and should only slightly impede faculty research. Remediation should take 3 weeks and begins Monday. Structural analysts are looking into the cause of the mold.