Judge Orders Bevin to Release Higher Ed Money Within Three Days
A state judge has ordered Gov. Matt Bevin to release $17.8 million to most public colleges and universities. Franklin Circuit Judge Thomas Wingate signed the order Monday. It says Bevin must release the money within three days.
Bevin had ordered cuts of 2% at most public colleges and universities, but the state legislature did not approve them. Attorney General Andy Beshear sued, arguing Bevin's cuts were illegal.
Wingate initially ruled in Bevin's favor, but the state Supreme Court reversed that ruling last month.
Here’s a breakdown of how much money each institution will receive once funds are released:
- Eastern Kentucky University: $1,360,700
- Kentucky State University: not included in budget cuts
- Morehead State University: $866,800
- Murray State University: $960,500
- Northern Kentucky University: $970,800
- University of Kentucky: $5,592,200
- University of Louisville: $2,781,500
- Western Kentucky University: $1,493,000
- KCTCS: $3,803,200