GROWING YOUR LEGACY
It's part of your life. Make it part of your legacy.
A lot has changed in the 50 years since the first WKMS broadcast. In many ways, public radio has grown up. A fledging station became a permanent and positive presence in the lives of listeners across the region. You’ve come for storytelling and rigorous reporting – for engaged listening. Whether large or small, these are stories that start conversations, deepen understandings and enrich lives.
WKMS continues to depend on annual membership contributions from friends. But the future will depend more and more on lead gifts from longtime friends who want to ensure the station has a strong and stable future, and that these powerful stories continue to be told.
One of the many ways you can share your commitment to public radio is to remember WKMS in your estate plans. It’s one way to make a deep and lasting impact, without affecting your current financial needs.
Any commitment to the WKMS Future Fund makes a big difference for the future of public radio.
HOW TO GET STARTED
Questions about your options? Call Development Director Asia Burnett at 270-809-4743 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about how your gift can be structured and what you can support.
Official Bequest Language for WKMS:
"I [name], of [city, state, zip], give, devise and bequeath to WKMS, in care of the Murray State University Foundation [written amount or percentage of the estate or description of property] for its unrestricted use and purpose."
HOW TO LEAVE A LASTING GIFT Q&A
Q: I want to have a lasting impact. What are some ways that I can leave a WKMS legacy?
A: As our licensee, Murray State University’s Office of Development works with WKMS to provide planned giving options to our listeners, including:
- Life Insurance
- Retirement Plan Assets
- Gifts of Stock
- Charitable Gift Annuities
- Memorial Gifts
Q: I have family members and others to support. Can I provide for them and WKMS at the same time?
A: Absolutely. Many people choose to leave a small percentage of their estate as a way to impact their favorite charitable organizations, while still providing their families with financial security.
For instance WKMS Legacy Society member Angie Hatton says, “I chose to leave 10% of my life insurance policy to WKMS. The other 90% will go to my family, but that 10% will ensure that my commitment to public radio carries on when I will no longer be here to give.”
Q: I don’t have a big “estate”. Would it really matter if I made WKMS part of my will?
A: Yes! Making a lasting commitment to support public radio benefits the station and inspires others, regardless of the size of the gift. Imagine if every WKMS listener left even a small amount to WKMS in their planned giving. That’d make a huge difference to public radio in our region!
OUR LEGACY SOCIETY
By including WKMS in your will, trust or estate plans, you make a powerful commitment to ensuring that people in our region have access to information and the important stories that educate us, inspire us, and help us make sense of our world.
If you’ve included WKMS in your estate plans, please let us know. You can reach Development Director, Asia Burnett at 270-809-4743, or by email at email@example.com. We welcome those who have made a lasting commitment to WKMS to join other dedicated listeners in our Legacy Society.
Legacy Society Benefits:
- A deepened partnership and pride in knowing that you have provided for the future of public radio in our region.
- Recognition of your commitment as a Legacy Society member in print or online. You may remain anonymous if you choose.
- Your name on a Legacy Society plaque prominently displayed at WKMS studios.
- Yearly invites to the WKMS Grand Supper Club celebration.
- Special invitations to other WKMS studio events.
A Legacy of Learning
Paul Reed Smith was the definition of a life-long learner. A lover of cultures and languages, who knew both German and Spanish and hoped to learn Chinese. He liked to keep people laughing even as he was imparting knowledge. And he remembered fondly, even later in life, the education he received from St. Mary’s Schools in Paducah.
As someone who enjoyed knowledge and diverse reporting, Paul grew up listening to NPR, and found it on the dial wherever he went in life.
WKMS was one of the first NPR stations he listened to. He believed in public radio, and also strongly believed in education; so a sponsorship of WKMS in support of St. Mary’s School, was the perfect way to pull those two loves together.
When Paul passed away in 2008 after a year-long battle with cancer, his wife, Darlene Feikema, carried out his wishes to make his memorial gift, strengthening WKMS while remembering St. Mary’s schools on March 9, Paul’s Birthday, each and every year.
We thank Paul and his family for leaving this legacy of learning for our region.
What's your legacy?