News and Music Discovery
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations
We are experiencing technical issues that have caused WKMD 90.9 FM in Madisonville to go off air. We'll get it back up as soon as we can. We appreciate your patience. You can also stream online or on your phone at

McCracken County Board of Education Calls Special Meeting Over Employee Contracts

McCracken County Public Schools Webpage

In a special called meeting Friday, McCracken County Board of Education discussed plans for employees to fulfill their contracted hours and the possibility of an in-person graduation. 

This week Governor Andy Beshear said Kentucky's schools should remain closed for the rest of the academic year and there should be no in-person graduations. McCracken County Schools still need to complete 11 staff days in order to meet the requirements of their contract with employees.

McCracken County Superintendent Steve Carter said employees will have the opportunity to meet these hours by June 30. He said he will be creating a plan for the needed 11 days this coming week

“There will be 11 staff days and we still have to complete, but we're meeting with principals on Tuesday to see what needs they have in their buildings,” Carter said. “But, then we still have our bus driver contracts and food service contracts. We will make sure everyone has the opportunity to fulfill their contract and receive full pay.”

Because the The CollegeBoard A.P. exams have been rescheduled for May 6, Carter said the highschool teachers will have an opportunity to fill some of their 11 days through review sessions before the exams. He said elementary and middle school teachers may be meeting their required hours through training days.  

According to the board 86% of McCracken County High School seniors want an in-person graduation. The remaining 14% were polled as “indifferent.” 

“We came to the realization that the one set of adults we haven't spoken to or gotten feedback from is the young adults that it's really about.” Carter said. “So, we will work with Principal Houser now to get a meeting set up with a representative group of the senior class to find out what they want to see out there.”

The board will look into making appointments with students to return to the schools to collect their belongings. 

Hannah is a Murray State Journalism major. She found her place in radio during her second year in Murray. She is from Herndon, KY, a small farming community on the Kentucky/Tennessee stateline.
Related Content