News and Music Discovery
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
Available On Air Stations

Gas Leak Near Murray Elementary Prompts Evacuations

Matt Markgraf, WKMS

  A gas leak in Murray this morning prompted evacuations at several homes and a nearby elementary school.

Murray City Fire Chief Eric Pologruto said at around 10:00 a.m. the fire department responded to a call about a gas leak at a residential home on South 16th Street.


He said a landscaping company accidentally cut the gas line while mowing.


Pologruto said the fire department did a precautionary evacuation of the area, which included sending nearby Murray Elementary School students inside during recess.


He said the fire department dissipated the leaking gas with a hose line until the gas company arrived to plug the leak. Murray Elementary was given an ‘all clear’ within an hour of the precautionary measures.


Taylor is a recent Murray State University graduate where she studied journalism and history. When she's not reporting for WKMS, she enjoys creative writing and traveling. She loves writing stories that involve diversity, local culture and history, nature and recreation, art and music, and national or local politics. If you have a news tip or idea, shoot her an email at!
Related Content