Heating Assistance Program Accepting Applications
West Kentucky Allied Services begins its heating assistance program today.
The subsidy component of the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program will go through December 11, 2014 to help pay upcoming heating bills. The amount of assistance will be based on a household’s income and type of heating fuel.
Applications will be taken alphabetically according to the first letter of last names and must be accompanied by the following:
- Most recent heating bill or a rent receipt if the applicant resides in public housing.
- Proof of Social Security Number or Permanent Resident card (Green Card) for each member in the household.
- Proof of income for every member that had income for the month prior to application. All individuals (households) who had no income must obtain a zero income form from the local office prior to applying. Individuals must have an award letter if income is Social Security, Supplemental Social Income, Veterans Affairs, Railroad, or pensions, etc. This year, bank statements cannot be used for verification of income.
In order to apply, individuals must meet the following requirements:
- Clients must be responsible for their own heating costs or pay heating costs as an undesignated portion of their rent.
- Clients must not have liquid resources in excess of $2,000, such as money in a checking account, savings, certificates of deposit, stocks, bonds, etc. Clients may have up to $3,000 if at least one person in the household is disabled or age 60 and above. In households where a member has a catastrophic illness, clients may have up to $4,000 in liquid resources for medical and living expenses.
- Service must be on when application is submitted for a benefit to be applied to an account. This program does not pay existing bills and will not pay any deposits to have service connected.
Find your local WKAS office online at West Kentucky Allied Services, or call the main office at 270-247-4046.